1. Identify the degree of genome-wide introgression across abrupt mitocondrial breaks in these species;
2. Identify if there is common pattern of degree of introgression among loci, or among chromosomes (based on mapping loci to chromosomes);
3. Identify whether key ecological traits in birds (such as diet; see Miller et al. in review) predict the outcome of secondary contact;
4. Test whether mitonuclear incompatibilities
are responsible for limited introgression of certain loci.
5. Develop a framework for correctly establishing species limits of Panamanian birds, and evaluate the consequences of revised species limits on conservation plannig in the region.